Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Civil Rights in my lifetime as an American mutt

I dedicate this blog to the strong activist of my life ,my Mother Patricia Ann (George) Gonzales , Gramma Luizia (Copeland) George ,  and the many others I work with now ... I am scared to try to name them all  in fear i may forget someone . 

I found this blog called 

A Voice For All Unpeople

It had a great story there I want to share http://paullavack.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-we-get-right.html

This is a piece of the story that really got me remembering how far we have come ,YET how far we have to go. 
It also reminded me "why I am an activist " and now a proud member of 
EnvironmentaLEE.org a chapter of BREDL.org . 



I'm a person with a serious physical disability. Had I been bore a generation or two before, there's a very good chance I would have been institutionalized early in life. Imagine a life long prison sentence having done nothing wrong! Going to school, getting a job and living independently would have been out of the question. I owe much of my success in life to The Disability Rights Movement. 'Here ' is a brief overview. I think this goes hand in hand with The Civil Rights MovementHere in the USA, most places are handicapped accessible. That means I don't have to rely on others to get where I want to go. There are other countries that also do a good job, but world-wide there is still a long way to go. Later on in life Dr. King expanded the struggle of racial equality to include advocating for the poor. I'm hoping we have about bottomed out and the growing income inequality gap will start to slow and swing the other way. Surely, some people in power must know how explosive this could get. 

Reading this statement above brought back a flood of memories. Some good some not.
Being a mixed poor child of the 60's, raised by a single mom , with a younger sibling too . My mother got loving support from her mother Luizia George , but not much from the rest of the world. 
 See it was better in that time for my mother to give me away than have illegitimate children to DISGRACE the family name ! But she kept us ! 
My grandmother was my first activist to inspire my life , she always fought hard for the underdogs/ UnPEOPLE of her world . 
 For that I have great gratitude , respect and admiration of my 'Gramma' and Mother too! 
My Gramma in glasses with my mom (blonde) in front of her .

My earliest memory of prejudice behavior was watching a "cross burning " in a neighboring town on the news with my gramma and seeing her start to cry . I knew the Cross was special to her and thought that was why she was crying . I said something like "Why would someone be so mean to burn a cross?" This made her cry more , because she had to tell me the Real meaning of this awful act of prejudice people.

My earliest memory of prejudice behavior toward me was before school  , being asked by Grownups  "Where did you get that hair? What are you? What Color are you ?" When I told my gramma of these questions , I seen hurt and anger in her eyes . As she'd remind me there are cruel people in this world but to remember this song " Jesus loves the little children"
All the children of the world
Red, brown, yellow
Black and white
They are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children
Of the world.

I am the curly head in the middle age 1 .
 By the time I was about 6 or 7 years old , my answer to such questions was , "I'm an American ", like the melting pot of America I have a mixture in me .

After being asked 'What Color are you ?' too dang many times , I thought often of the song ,Gramma sang to me . 
So I mixed those song colors together with fingerpaints adding Blue for the "blue bloods " I had heard of and came up with my color "Purple"

My first memory of my activism , I was around 8 , taking up for a homeless man another child was picking on . I remember , my mother making that man sandwiches too !

After hearing the definition of mutt from a farmer saying something like ... "they got mixed blood which is good because those dogs are more loyal and don't tend to be weak to disease like them pure breeds ."
So I picked mutt as my "What I am "
and Purple for "my color" by the time I was about 8 years old .
Ironically when I just checked the Urban dictionary I found this ...
MUTT http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mutt
1) A person of mixed racial descent. 
2) A dog of many mixed breeds.

Many years and reasons has kept me in the fight for Justice for the People . Pre
 Some of the causes have changed through the years but sadly some are still haunting us still to this day .
But when the day came in 2012 I sat in front of my TV and watched OUR new PRESIDENT (who shares the same B-day as me ) say "Mutt like me" I actually cried ! I was one proud American Mutt!





So here I am in my 50's and some of my heroes are local activist I have met in the last few years that fight for Social and Environmental Justice for the future generations as well as ours .
I am proud to say I helped create and am a member of http://www.environmentalee.org/ a chapter of a 30+ year organization that has fought and won many fights for THE PEOPLE ,
BLUE RIDGE ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENSE LEAGUE  http://www.bredl.org/

Our biggest fights local are fracking and coal ash dumping in Lee and Chatham counties .
You can follow our fight and even help here https://www.facebook.com/EnvironmentaLEE
and here too...  twitter https://twitter.com/EnvironmentaLEE
I also help out when I can with a number of other Justice warriors like our local Lee County NAACP which helped host a Moral Monday event here in Sanford . Here is a video of that Lee/Chatham County Moral Monday on @livestream: http://livestream.com/accounts/5188266/events/4022280/videos/86191170

LAST but not least , we are doing a fundraiser to gather legal funds to fight Duke Energy , yes That Duke Energy ... We the people do not believe they are TOO Big to be held accountable !
Help balance the scales of justice!
Duke Energy is proposing to dump toxic coal ash in Lee and Chatham Counties, North Carolina. Lee County is already ground zero for fracking, and the North Carolina General Assembly stripped local governments of their ability to control fracking or coal ash dumping in their communities. These activities threaten health, the environment, and property rights. We are raising funds for a possible legal challenge to Duke Energy's plan. 


3 comments:

  1. That is a very Loving Heart Felt Mother's Day Dedication, Thank you. I Love you and am so Proud of you and so grateful you are my Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so grateful for you Terica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the things happening today and the attitudes of our Radical, Rightwing political and ( supposedly ) Religious leaders are those of pre-1960's America. I cannot understand why any intelligent person would want to return to those dark days in this countries history. Maybe the key words there are " intelligent person " ?

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Real Comments are always welcome!
We welcome real opinions and information .
Trolls are not tolerated .
If you are here to advertise , It will be deleted asap .
Please know I will be doing this daily so go ahead and Comment !